Here’s a new dog checklist: everything you need for when you bring your pup home for the first time – plus a free colorful printable to download!
Welcoming a new dog into your home is fun and exciting. And equally fun and exciting is going on a shopping spree to make the transition complete. Sure, your love and attention is a great start – but every dog deserves a plush bed, new squeaky toy and yummy treats.
I remember the first trip to the pet store after we adopted Porter in January 2016 – $250 and a very stylish pup later, we were all set!
Here’s a quick must-have list of dog accessories to help you get Fido settled into your home. Some of these things on our “new dog checklist” are more important than others and you can always pick up the items as you get settled in. You definitely need food, bowls and a collar to start with!
WHAT DO FIRST TIME PUPPY OWNERS NEED?
- Basic items: These things include a crate, plush bed, collar, ID tag and leash. We still have Porter’s crate three-plus years later, located in our sunroom not far from his food and toy basket.
- Nutrition: Whether you are bringing home a new puppy or adopting a dog, you want specific food that fits their needs; don’t forget the water and food bowls!
- Fun Things: Every new dog wants plush toys, training treats, bones and colorful ropes to pull on.
- Training Resources: If you have a new puppy, you will want to buy puppy pads, stain and odor removal and bitter apple spray.
- Grooming: You want your new dog to look – and smell – his best! Add shampoo, soap, ear cleaner, brush and nail clippers.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. That means if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products or services that I fully believe in and use myself. Read my Disclosures Policy here.
Your New Dog Checklist
Click on the New Dog Checklist – Everything You Need image and download and print!
What must-have items were on your new dog checklist? I’d love to hear your suggestions. Feel free to comment below or connect with us on our Facebook page.