These Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats are so yummy, you might be tempted to sneak a bite or two when your pooch isn’t looking!
Pumpkin is a great source of fiber for dogs and helps with digestive regularity. If your pup is experiencing constipation, an upset tummy or diarrhea, mix a tablespoon of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling – it has too much sugar and other junk) straight from the can into their normal dog food. Not only will your dog love the taste, but it will likely help with the stomach issues.
And since it’s pumpkin-everything season – okay, it’s a tiny bit early, but I digress – it’s time to break out your favorite pumpkin spice latte and collect all the ingredients you need to whip up your dog’s favorite Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats. Nothing says your pooch can’t savor his own pumpkin treat.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PUMPKIN FOR DOGS:
- Pumpkins are high in antioxidants and essential fatty acids, which promote healthy skin and fur.
- Pumpkins (and pumpkin seeds) have excellent sources of Potassium, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A and iron, and include great cancer-fighting abilities.
- Pumpkins provide a great source of fiber and can help soothe upset bellies and indigestion.
- Pumpkin seeds are great for helping with your dog’s urinary health.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PUMPKIN DOG TREATS
These treats are so affordable, easy to make and have nothing but wholesome, healthy ingredients, so I feel good about feeding them to Porter.
Start by mixing together all your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and bacon bits) in a large bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, mix your egg, water and pumpkin puree together until blended. Combine all ingredients into large bowl and mix until combined.
Roll out your mixture on the counter with a rolling pin (or a large wine bottle, if you don’t have a rolling pin). If your mixture is sticky, dabble a little flour on the counter. Once you’ve rolled it out, use a cookie cutter (I used a bone) to cut out your shapes. You can use a knife to cut out circles, squares or any other shape you want. Place on a nonstick or foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes. If you bake 20-25 minutes, you will end up with soft baked treats; longer time will yield you crunchier treats.
Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Bacon Bits
- 1 Egg
- Parchment or Wax Paper
- Cookie cutters
- A Well-Behaved Pooch
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix in all dry ingredients until mixture is completely blended. Set aside.
- Mix the egg, pumpkin puree and water together in a separate bowl and blend.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture in large bowl and stir until blended.
- Roll out mixture on clean, dry counter and use cookie cutter to make shapes.
- Place the cut out mixture on the foil-lined oven sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before giving your pooch a treat.
Porter’s BDFF (Best Doggy Friend Forever) eagerly awaits her FOURTH treat. These turned out to be a hit for our pack!
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. That means if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products or services that I fully believe in and use myself. Read my Disclosures Policy here.
How did your dog like these Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats? I’d love to know in the comment section below or on our Facebook page.